Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pregnancy Update

Okay....so this is going to be a lengthy update.....bare with me! (NOTE: Before this appt I was having a hard time with my IV's and my legs - where the Zofran pump went in to. SO, to help they did a PICC line. I had to have it done in the hospital by a radiologist. A PICC line is a type of IV that goes in the upper arm -above the bend in the elbow- so it goes in the larger part of a vein that has a catheter that runs up the arm, over the shoulder, and to the heart. It had 2 ports, so I could get my IV fluids, and my Zofran. A PICC line can be kept in for up to 6 weeks. I had a nuchal scan -that checks for birth defects - all was good. Then...my OB called (all of this the same day) and "booted" me to a high risk OB downtown. It was a rather stressful day for me.....but I seemed to be okay until..........)........................ I'm currently 13 weeks 4 days. I went to my first high risk OB appointment downtown ( Dr. Karolina Adam - HPA) today. My appt was at 10:30 and I barely made it there in time (after getting lost in downtown via the HOV). When Dr. Adam came in....she was very nice...but honest and to the point...not much of a sense of humor. She proceeds to tell me that my PICC line is infected and must be taken out ASAP. (the potential sepsis that could result from an infected PICC line that goes to your heart...is fetal death and/or maternal death - as dramatic as that sounds...I just put "nicer" in here than she put it to me). When she realized I was also running fever...she got really concerned. She ordered an antibiotic injection (that hurts like hell). I had to have the site cultured, blood cultures and a CBC done (results wont be in for a few days....if they come back positive, I will be admitted to Texas Women's Hospital). Not that I needed anything else to happen I also had Ketones (meaning I'm dehydrated) glucose (could mean a lot of things...but as a result b/c I was gestational diabetic with the boys I now have to monitor my sugar levels 4x a day) and protein (all in my urine). Now the protein wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't also have high blood pressure, and swelling in my legs and arms this visit. This is something that will have to monitored throughout and HOPE that it doesn't get worse...but it's not good that I've already got it to deal with...it usually isn't a big deal until about 30 weeks (plus) in pregnancy. About the only GOOD thing she told me today was that the baby looked great, and was measuring right!! I could see the arms, fingers, legs, feet...it was soooooo good to see...and after all of the above...I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE IT!!!! It makes it all worth it!! My next appt. is November 3rd and she'll do another U/S. I was informed that I will not go longer than 3 weeks between appts. and that for the most part I'll be seen about every 2 weeks.Thank you SO much to everyone for your love, prayers and support!!! This has been really hard on me, Brian, and the kids. I wouldn't be able to make it without my husband...he's been WONDERFUL!!If something changes or happens...I'll update again, otherwise - I'll update after the Nov 3 appt!!

2 comments:

Shelly Conn said...

What happened in the first place for all this to happen?

Sorry to hear you had to deal with all that.
Hope you are feeling better.

Shelly Conn said...

shellyconn@gmail.com